These C-shaped grubs are cream coloured with a brown head and six legs. They periodically move up and down in the soil – approaching the surface when it is moist and travelling downward when the soil is dry or when surface temperatures become too cold. Overwintered grub larvae actively feed on grass roots during the early spring, prior to pupation and emergence as adult beetles in June. Newlyhatched larvae feed voraciously from midsummer to early fall.
• Turns yellow, then brown.
• Presence of birds, moles, skunks and other insect-eating animals seeking grubs (the presence of these animals may indicate infestations of other pests).
Apply MERIT 0.5G or SOLUPAK just prior to egg hatch.
• Apply MERIT 0.5G at the rate of 560 g/100 m2.
• Apply MERIT SOLUPAK at the rate of 1 packet per 1206 m2.
• Water sufficiently (5-10mm of water) following the application to move the active ingredient through the thatch.
Grub Control Tips:
• Remove excessive thatch and irrigate 24 hours before treatment if soil is dry, and to bring grubs closer to the surface.
• Irrigate following application to ensure movement of insecticide into the root zone.
Feb7ThuFebruary 7, 2019
Aug8WedAugust 8, 2018
Brian Rosenberg has been named the new Head of Bayer Environmental Science Canada effective August 1, 2018.
May15TueMay 15, 2018
May11FriMay 11, 2018
The premier educational and networking event for golf course superintendents will accept 50 elite members for its 2018 class